Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Extreme Annoyance of Weddings on National Holidays (i.e. July 4th)

Sooooooo......hellooooo. My cousin (who I must add that I really love and am very happy for) is getting married on July 4th. Is it wrong of me to feel really annoyed and put out that on my day off I am obligated to trek to Mooooonsey (guess which hall? it isn't hard) and sit with only females, eating semi-crappy food, while the rest of the world munches on hot dogs, throws around Old-Navy inspired frisbees and watches fireworks???

Hmmph. I'm rather pissed, as you can see. But this is truly rant-worthy. What is with the custom of having weddings on national holidays and just assuming that people would like to sacrifice their bondage-free day to watch two people glorify in their love? What about MY love (for apple pie, baseball and lounging around)?

While we're at it, what is with the distinctly Jewish custom of having weddings on weekdays? My non-Jewish co-workers and friends can never believe it. I know it's cheaper, but you're always on pins and needles to leave early, and you're exhausted the next day anyway.

Alright, for the sake of my mother, uncle and cousin, I'll shut up now. I'll even put on a fancy dress and happy face and dance like crazy for my cousin. But know, dear readers, that inside I will be longing for grilled corn on the cob.

3 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously resent these weeknight weddings as well as the ones on national holidays. I was going to go away at the end of August last summer through Labor Day, thereby using my allotted vacation days and still getting to extend my time off by combining it with the long holiday weekend. But then I couldn't, because a very close friend got married right before Labor Day weekend. It was a beautiful wedding and I was very happy to celebrate with my friend, but I had to change around my entire vacation plans for this wedding and couldn't do exactly the trip I wanted because of it. And, I had to take off a whole day of work to go to the wedding because it was in another state!

And then, the regular weeknight weddings just irk me. The stress of leaving work early, getting ready like a maniac, rushing to get there, not being able to stay for the whole thing (and these things NEVER start promptly so dinner is at 10pm) and then being exhausted the next day really doesn't help me enjoy the event at all.

When I get married, I will definitely do it on a Sunday--I don't care if it's more expensive--I just won't invite everyone I ever met in my entire life.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger JewYorkCity said...

perhaps you can invite the Rockland Volunteer Fire Department to keep you company, Ms Jewess. Call and say "there's a fire at the Atrium!" Oh wait - is it at the Atrium... you didn't even say :-)

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger GoodGirlGoneGood said...

It is the Atrium - you're a genius. And aren't you naughty re: firefighters. I heard they came out with a hot calendar this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home