Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Indecisive Rant: Plastic Surgery - Never! Plastic Surgery - Perhaps?

This morning, as I was hurriedly applying my makeup (and doing a terrible job of it, I might add; I just can't master that Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner), I turned on the Today Show for a little AM pick-me-up. I've only recently turned back to them since it's become widely known that Katie Couric and Matt Lauer have ego problems and dominate the segments, instead of interviewing their guests. I actually (gasp!) turned the channel a while ago to their competitors, Diane Sawyer, et al at Good Morning America.

This morning, however, I gave them a chance and saw that Katie had two celebrity guests discussing how 50 might be the new 30. (I was excited since I am all for that - I just turned 28 and would love if it is the new forever 21!) The illustrious Cheryl Tiegs and the lovely Christie Brinkley were talking about how scientific advances and more knowledge about health allow women to live longer, healthier, more beautiful lives! The discussion was going well, and all three ladies were having a blast. At one point, however, Christie made the mistake of saying how topical creams such as Cover Girl (who she models for - brand whoring anyone?) deflect light off wrinkles and can be a wonderful substitute for plastic surgery.

Katie Couric clutched her pearls at this and took over as she has been wont to do. Being against plastic surgery herself, why should a woman even have to fight or cover her wrinkles, which are a wonderful sign of the wisdom she has gained through a long life? It was all over - she was on a rampage, and barely let the women answer from that point. Katie, sorry, but last year, you were widely rumored to change your hairstyle to one with bangs to cover your tender brow lift!!! At this point, I scolded myself for even turning back to Today. Christie Brinkley herself looked like she had been hitting the Botox needle, for the love of Shmendrik!

However, I must admit that I am not completely against plastic surgery. I was a bit turned off by Cheryl - while she had a lustrous mane of healthy blond hair, she did look rather wrinkly. And even though I can't ever imagine myself getting Botox (why would I willfully seek out something that PARALYZES my nerves???), I could see myself getting a little lift and wee tuck here and there when the time comes. After all, I have to please my fans, don't I???

I think this was the case of the medium versus the message. I concluded that:
Plastic Surgery: Possible! For as my Jewish mother taught me, I do want to be a sheinah meidel, and not a meiskeit. However, I can't forgive Katie for her blatant sheker, so sorry:
Katie Couric: Never!

(Now, if only Diane Sawyer weren't looking so plastic....Al Roker is starting to look good in his au natural state....)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home