Thursday, October 05, 2006

High-Holiday boredom...

So the high-holidays are just over (is sukkos considered high or is it done with YK... ? I can't keep up. The JTA writes an interesting story on Jews who don't attend high holiday services, yet are connected to their Jewish faith.

I was able to relate quite appropriately as I skipped out on much of the High Holiday services this year. With Jews identifying as 2-day-a-year Jews, indicating their temple attendance on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, those are actually the days where services are the most difficult ... perhaps, that's why these Jews don't return during the year.

I appreciate shul more during a Friday night Shabbos service, rather than an entire day. But... that's just me.

1 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Nice Jewish Guy said...

You may be onto something there... they may appreciate a regular Shabbos service beter, since it's shorter. And of course, there's the kiddush! Personally, I think the reason most folks in my shul come back regularly week by week is the sponge cake, chummus, and on some weeks, even cholent and kugel. (Mmmmm.)And of course, the socializing. You can't talk about the Mets, your latest home improvement project, or who's geting divorced with your row-mates if you skip shul for a long walk. (That should tell you what kind of shul I go to ... in yours it's probably more like the Mets, who broke up with whom, and...?).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home