Tuesday, March 28, 2006

kosher sex, then kosher wigs, and now kosher phones?!?


Awright - enough is enough for Christ's sake! The Wall Street Journal wrote yesterday how cell phone companies are going kosher. In March of last years, MIRS Communications Ltd rolled out its first batch of "kosher" phones stripped down of all features but basic voice service (which really means, they're giving you a cell phone from 1999). The company's phones, which are available only in Israel, have attracted 20,000 subscribers .

Hmmm, Im not so sure this was meant to be; I mean, isn't Israel like 7 years behind in everything anyway? Wouldn't that mean that phones from 1999 should just be getting there anyway?

Also, these phones come equipped with Jewish ringtones like 'Shalom Aleikhem', 'Adon Olam', 'Hava Negila' (of course) and 'Hinei Ma Tov'. Those are JUST the tunes I want to hear when my Craig's List booty call is calling me....

2 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger GoodGirlGoneGood said...

I expect you'll get a 'pru u'rvu' text message when Craig's List comes a'callin....

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Mikha'el said...

You posted:

>isn't Israel like 7 years behind >in everything anyway? Wouldn't >that mean that phones from 1999 >should just be getting there >anyway?

Once upon a time, this was correct-(although 7 years is an exaggeration)-at least when it came to stuff like movies and TV shows. TV only came to Israel in the late '60s, and when I lived there in the '80s, there were still just 2 Israeli channels, I think plus Jordanian, Egyptian and Lebanese TV. However, since the '90s-Israel has had a dizzying array of cable and satellite TV options, most big foreign movies open at the same time as their US and European premieres, and when it comes to cellphones, Israelis were way ahead of the US in adopring the technology. When I visited Israel for the first time after a 6-year absence in 1994, it seemed to me that just about everyone had a "pelefon" (cellphone), and only about 1 in 5 New Yorkers seemed to have one back then. (I personally resisted getting a cellphone until last year--I broke down because I temporarily had to move back to my folks' house on Staten Island after being exiled from Park Slope and didn't want to share the phone with my parents or sibling-and I found out I could keep my old landline number on my mobile.) But anyway, you seem to be pretty unaware about what life in Isral is like. Also, Israel is super, hyperdeveloped with Internet and tech-related stuff. ICQ, which revolutionized instant messaging, is an Israeli tech company, as is Odigo, for instance. They don't call it "Silicon Wadi" for nothing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home