Friday, December 16, 2005

Brokeback cowboys, come to my shul! I'll even pay for your memberships....




"I reckon there's a nice synagogue for us to make camp at in the distance....I heard their kiddish club has some good eats..."



(Kids in the truck): "Look at Shloime and Baruch. Aren't they nice? They had us over for an oneg last Friday night and made the best cholent. I surely am glad that they are part of our tzibur...."



I saw Bareback...er... Brokeback Mountain last night and all I can say is WOW. Run, run, run out to see this movie! Contrary to some naysayers, this is not a 'gay love story' but rather a universal love story that just happens to occur between two men. It was really passionate and emotional. It moved me and I've been thinking about it ever since.

Okay, this doesn't 'just happen' to any 'two men.' I have to say, these men were the hottest I have seen in a while and their chemistry in the love scenes between them sent my Yiddish blood pressure rising in a way that no straight movie/farbregen/piece of chocolate has been able to do in a while.

Granted, I am quite liberal, having lived in NYC my whole life, am friends/colleagues with people of all different types of persuasions, and just have an open mind, but all Yiddin should take this opportunity to assess their stance on homosexuality in the Jewish community. Really, what is so wrong with having a hot gay couple come to your shul? And if they took aliyahs without their shirts on, all the better!

Let's get serious for a (fleeting) moment. I really hope this will be another step in the 'Trembling Before G-d' direction and will promote some much needed understanding. Even if the gay people in your community aren't hot, let's be charitable, and say, so what? Why should Jewish gay people be ostracized just for acting on something that I truly believe is genetic? They really experience so much heartache in grappling with their identity, especially in the Orthodox community, that this is not a question of lifestyle choices. If this is who they are, I say accept them, and welcome them with open arms. Let them be a part of Am Yisroel and don't turn them away for just one thing - they may have wonderful middot (or hot pecs) and alot to contribute. Why is their soul any different from any other Jewish soul in its thirst for Yiddishkeit? And if you want to point fingers at people and send them to cherem, why don't you send that cheating schmuck on the shul board who blatantly committed gileui arayot or the upstanding putz who is not so quietly embezzelling their life away?

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program....Jake, Heath, you put my gatkes in a (Jack) twist. Please join OZ ASAP, just so I could have some much needed eye candy over the mechitza. I'll even sponsor a kiddish in your names....

Anyway, what's the worst thing that can happen -

This might lead to mixed dancing???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home