Friday, May 19, 2006

Jumpin' Jewess Inconsolable Over Proposed Shuttering of Makor

Help me, friends. I can't catch my breath. This news has left me beyond - I am bereft, burdened with bad thoughts and bamboozled. Seriously though, I'm so sad!

Why are they closing Makor? It's such a great place to have on the UWS and they have the one reliable dairy cafe. Where else am I going to go to dish with my girlfriends, snarf down Greek salad and half-listen to klezmer at the same time? Where am I going to go for Indie Jewish flicks?

Are they just going to turn it into condos? Seriously, what the hell? Let's mount a protest on the 'Donna Martin Graduates' scale!!!!

2 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am disappointed to see Makor close. If the same cultural events are offered at the 92nd Street Y, it will not be that much further for most of the frum UWS crowd, because even though we would be traveling east, we would not have to travel as far south. However, it will not feel the same. The Y feels like a large but out of date and out of touch institution run by older people for older people. Makor largely succeeded in creating an institution that younger people feel at home in. The smaller size of the building makes it feel cozier and more distinctly relevant, because it was designed to target a narrower demographic. With that said, unlike you, I will not miss the food there, which is rather unexceptional.

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Aw, that's unfortunate ... I've always wanted to go there ... just a subway ride away. I definitely need to get involved more in *something* because I always seem to fall into the 90-something crowd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home