Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Two key suspects in killing of French Jew turn themselves in to police

In a shocking (but necessary) departure from my usual snark, I am actually reporting on some non-pop culture news. According to Ha'aretz, the French police have actually gotten off their butts and arrested two major players in the horrific, anti-semitic slaying of a young Jewish man (with his whole life in front of him, as my mother would say).

As background, authorities found 23-year-old Ilan Halimi naked, handcuffed and covered with burn marks near railroad tracks in the Essonne region south of Paris on February 13. He died on the way to the hospital after being held captive for more than three weeks. Critics accused police of initially ignoring anti-Semitic motives in the crime, which caught the attention of senior government officials and prompted fear of renewed anti-Semitism in France. French police have arrested 18 people in the investigation.

Sorry to depress you, dear readers, but anti-semitism is alive and well, and we all should be doing something about it. I am saying this to myself the most, since my cushy life permits me very little time to think of world events. But this is way beyond Freedom Fries - it's very dangerous to be Jewish in France these days, both because of the menace of a certain population as well as the inaction of police.

In closing, let me leave you with this hard core message: Prison is too good for these f**ers. Let's nuke the bastards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home